Week in Seoul: Lotte World Adventure

Monday 30 March 2020

This is the last post for the Week in Seoul itinerary. I've been watching the Covid-19 situation unfold as I'm typing out these posts, and I've come to realise that there are many things that I am grateful for.

One of which was that I had these travel memories with my parents. Sure, many of us are on a travel lockdown and who knows what will happen even after today. I also don't know when we will next be able to travel but the next time we do, I'm going to be able to appreciate it even more.

In the meantime, I'd just continue to re-live my journeys through these posts. Except haha, I have very little to write for today's post.




Day 6 in Seoul: Lotte World Adventure --> Shopping at Lotte mall

Day 6 was the last full day we had in Seoul before we returned to Singapore via a mid-day flight on day 7. Interestingly, I actually don't have a lot to write about day 6 because we spent the first half of it in Lotte World Adventure and the other half shopping at the Lotte malls.

I actually forgot to take photos within Lotte World Adventure. Again, we took a lot of family pictures but I forgot any for the blog.

There are various options to getting the tickets to Lotte World Adventure. The hotel where we stayed had discounted tickets, you can also purchase discounted ones off Klook or KKday. Just check which one suits you before you head off.




There are 2 segments to Lotte World Adventure, indoor and outdoors. While the indoor park feels like it's catered more for families with younger children, there are still enough interesting rides for the more adventurous adults. I had my thrills on rides such as the French Revolution (an indoor roller coaster), the Flume ride (indoor water drop ride) and Pharaoh's Fury (motion vehicle).

Outdoor thrill rides included the Gyro Swing, Gyro Spin or Gyro Drop. It's like the 3 musketeers and they're all located near each other, very hard to miss. There's also the Bungee (a drop ride) and the Atlantis (a roller coaster flume ride). You can check out the rides on their website which I will provide at the end of this post.

When I was there, queues for the thrill rides were comparable to the ones in Disney at peak. I think, again, we went at a time when school kids were on holiday. So I had to opt for the Express Pass for some such as Pharaoh's Fury. You'd have to employ the same strategy for the Express Pass that you would at Disney parks, i.e. get those first before you join manageable queues for others. It was only much later that I found out I could actually purchase a Magic Pass that allows me to join the express queue for 5 or 10 rides without having to rush to the Express Pass machines.




The indoor and outdoor segments are connected by a monorail that you can ride. We took it from the 3rd floor of the indoor park to get to the outdoor side. And took it back when we were done. The monorail also gives you a good bird's eye view of the entire Lotte World Adventure.

And the monorail isn't the only ride that my parents took. They passed on the thrill ones and didn't mind waiting for me while I grabbed those. But I also took some other simple rides with them such as the Balloon Ride in the short clip below, a river cruise, a VR ride called Across Dark. Mom actually wanted to do the Petite Pang Pang which was a kiddy ride. She loved how cute the train was but unfortunately it was strictly for kids and their parents only.

Over the many travels, my parents and I have worked out a way where everyone could enjoy theme park rides. When we first started travelling together, my parents were scared and passed on most rides, which madde their times in theme parks less fruitful. However, they have since come to realise that there are still some thrill rides that they could manage and would join me for those. However, when it came to roller coasters or flumes, we'd designate a rest area or shops for them while I'd go grab the ride. This way, once I'm done, I'd know where to look for them. And oftentimes, they didn't mind resting their legs for a bit as well.




By mid-day we were tired of the theme park already. We all agreed that we preferred the Disney parks and would have gladly stayed for an entire day in Disney. However, by mid day, we were kind of sick of Lotte World Adventure. Hence we left and decided to go shopping at the Lotte malls instead.

The Lotte malls were so huge, we returned to continue with some really last minute shopping the next day before our flight. What did surprise me was that there was a GU store at the mall. I wasn't expecting to see Uniqlo's sister store in South Korea, but surprise sure did not keep me from buying quite a bit at GU! In fact, one of the fuzzy hoodie I bought is now a regular staple for my freezing office.

And that ended our week long trip to Seoul, our first time to South Korea. It was memorable, and at the end of it, my parents were more keen to return to South Korea. We were discussing when to visit Busan or Jeju in the week following our return. Unfortunately, plans are now up in the air given the Co-vid-19 situation but we'll definitely be looking forward to when we can visit again.


Tourist Information

Lotte World Adventure

Website: http://adventure.lotteworld.com/eng/main/index.do
Address: 240 Olympic-ro, Songpa-gu, Seoul
DID: +82-2-1661-2000
Operating hours:
Monday to Fridays, 9:30 am to 10 pm
Saturdays and Sundays, 9:30 am to 11 pm.
Please check website as there may be changes on the day itself.



No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS