Week in Seoul: Kwang Jang Market

Saturday 14 March 2020

My original plans for Day 4 in Seoul got disrupted; DMZ was a no-go because of African Swine Flu and the tour operator wasn't able to get my Han River cruise tickets. Hence we cancelled the tour with the operator and opted instead to trapeze around on our own. Although, heh, in all honesty, Plan B was only conjured up that morning itself.




Day 4 in Seoul: Kwang Jang Market --> N Seoul Tower

So after breakfast, off we went to Kwang Jang Market which was previously known as Dongdaemun Market. When I googled, some sites spelt it as "Gwang Jang Market" but its all the same. I'm just writing it the way it was actually spelt on the building itself. Kwang Jang Market is one of the oldest and largest traditional markets in Seoul, being established way back in 1905.

Google indicated that the market opens at 9 am daily but I'm not sure whether we were a tad early or whether some shops operated at later hours, but not everyone was open when we arrived at 9:30 am. Even then, we walked, shopped and fell in love with Kwang Jang Market. It ranks as one of my favourite spots in this trip. In fact, mom loved Kwang Jang so much, she made us return a second time the next day!




We started with the fresh produce section of the market. I have a fascination especially with seafood; I always marvel at the different variety of seafood found in different countries and often enjoy randomly choosing some to try at restaurants. Some of the store ahjummas were also friendly enough to offer us samples of what they were selling.




We then moved on to the household, textile and fashion section. As it was autumn going into winter while we were there, it was outerwear galore. From basic pieces to granny's fashion to pseudo haute couture. Mom and I bought our year's supply of cardigans and coats at very reasonable prices. I also managed to pick up a couple of jeans and sunny-Singapore appropriate tops. As mom used to be a seamstress, we also admired the many rolls of textiles. Mom was actually tempted to get some to bring home to make some clothes. Mom also bought some Korean utensils and I got myself a Korean seat cushion. I actually regretted not getting more, it was so comfortable!

We also bought snacks and souvenirs for friends and colleagues at the market. I actually forgot to take pictures of the snacks we bought until it was too late. The picture below was just a sample of the items we bought. These small packets are often sold in packets of 10 at the market, and you can opt for single flavours or an assortment of them. I've got to say, that black packet of chocolate coated almonds is da bomb! Everyone I passed it too loved it and I regretted not buying another pack of 10!




I also bought some cloth totes for friends. Again, forgot to take pictures of them, but those were sold cheap at the market! I got a bunch for under SGD$5 each! Although to be honest, it was only because a colleague had asked me to get one for her, else I wouldn't have known about it either.

Once we were done shopping, we headed to the food alley to grab lunch. There was just so many options to choose from! Kimchi, mandus, all sorts of banchans, Korean pancakes, tteokbokki (spicy rice cake), bibimbap etc. It was street food galore!





And of course I had to try the Korean pancake that was sold at the store featured on Netflix! However, because we shopped and bought so much stuff, we made the decision to take away the food and return to the hotel for lunch. 

On our way out though, we chanced on a store with a super long queue of locals! Peeped and realised it was a store selling kkwabaegi (Korean twisted doughnuts). Obviously got queue, got awards, got TV feature means it must be good. So we queued too! Best decision that morning! It was SUPER YUMMY! If you visit Kwang Jang Market, you must not miss this! Told a friend about it for her trip and she agreed that it was delicious! The store is located at one of the entrance, first store with a really long queue. Hard to miss really.





My parents and I spent the whole morning at Kwang Jang Market before returning to the hotel laden with our purchases and our take-away lunch. Everyone agreed that the shopping was good and the food delicious. 

Mom has already decided that we will be making another trip to Seoul just to return to Kwang Jang.






Tourist Information

Kwang Jang Market
Address: 88 Changgyeonggung-ro, Jongno 4(sa)-ga, Jong-gu, Seoul
Opening hours: 9 am. Some stores close by 5 pm.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS