Week in Seoul: Nami Island

Sunday 8 March 2020



Day 3 in Seoul: Garden of Morning Calm --> Nami Island --> Petite France

When I researched Nami Island, it was said to be the most visited tourist spot in South Korea. With such an accolade, there's no way I would have missed it out on the itinerary. So once we were done at the Garden of Morning Calm, our driver-cum-guide, Seo, brought us to take the ferry over to Nami Island.

I've got to say, my initial itinerary was to get to Nami Island first, then Petite France and lastly the Garden of Morning Calm. But I'm glad that Seo swapped it around. I had initially planned for Nami Island first because I wanted the avoid the swarm of people. My research indicated that there was no way I could get any photos without some stranger photo-bombing it unless I went super early. 

However, of all the 3 locations, Nami Island was the only one with any decent lunch options. And to be honest, Nami Island could be easily completed in 2 to 2.5 hours, even if you were to include a meal there. And that's luxurious, leisure walking. Just after 30 minutes, my parents and I got bored at Nami Island. My parents only entertained me because I wanted to get my pictures of the famous trees, else they would have high-tailed it out of there once they had their lunch.

Don't get me wrong. Nami Island IS picturesque. It's just that after 30 minutes of seeing similar tall trees, it can get a tad monotonous. 




There are 2 ways to get to Nami Island. If you have young children or the elderly with you, the easiest way would be to hop onto this huge ferry. That boat can take quite a load of people, it's pretty spacious but mostly standing space only as seats are limited. You can also choose to stand around on the deck to admire the view or enjoy the sea breeze. Its only a short ride though and before you know it, you'd have arrived on Nami Island (also known as Namiseom Island).

If you're into thrills and adventure, you can opt to zipline your way into Nami Island. Well, it would have been something I would have done if I didn't have my parents with me. I couldn't get a decent shot or video of the zipline as we were just in time to rush onto the next ferry, but it looked like people were really having fun!




I was quite amused to find out that Nami Island actually portrayed themselves as a Republic. When you reach the island, there's a banner that welcomes you to Naminara Republic! Ok, haha! So now I know there's a tinier republic other than my beloved Singapore.

We soon learnt that Nami Island is a leaf-shaped isle that was formed after the construction of a dam. It is named after General Nami whose tomb is situated near the entrance when you arrive via ferry. I sure was not expecting to see a tomb there on the island.




In fact, when you goggle Nami Island, most times you'd be informed that the place was made famous after the k-drama Winter Sonata (which I personally acknowledge as the mother of all K-dramas, the one that started it all) was filmed there!

So famous that the island also worked it into their tourism marketing. They even have a life-sized statue of Bae Yong Jun and Choi Ji Woo. And the marketing obviously worked! Gosh the number of visitors/couples who were all clamouring to pose in  front of the statue! This was the best shot I could get without too many photo-bombers.




To be honest, I found that there were other more interesting statues littering the island other than the Winter Sonata couple. My parents were quite amused with some of them. There was a series of big-breasted women with children and made me wonder if they were an advertisement for the joys of breastfeeding/motherhood...





We also settled our lunch at one of the Korean restaurants on Nami Island. There are several lunch options including pizza, pasta and even Malaysian cuisine. We choose to have ours at Seomhyanggi, and had a very yummy pork belly wrap along with lotus leaf wrapped rice.





Once their tummies were filled, my parents were more amenable to walk around the island. There are enough scenic or cute spots that we entertained ourselves taking lots of pictures before making our way back.

You can also explore the island using bicycles, they are available for rent. But I personally find it easier to just walk. For one, there are just too many people that you'd probably have to keep stopping to avoid collisions with, and secondly, it's a hassle to keeping jumping down for photos.






We even spotted a miniature of our Merlion at Nami Island! Haha, we were too lazy to walk around the pond to get a closer look, so this is the best shot I have.

I've included iPhone pictures of a map of Nami Island as well as general information, including entrance fees, operation hours etc.  I won't list them again in the information box I usually include at the end of each post, but instead, I'd just include a link to their website.





Tourist Information

Nami Island
Website: http://www.namisum.com/
For operating hours and fees, please refer to picture above.


No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS