The Uncertain 7-day Okinawa Journey: Daisekirinzan Park

Sunday 19 April 2020

It's been almost 2 weeks of Singapore's circuit breaker measures and I'm praying that people will just listen, stay home and be nice and considerate towards one another. Sure, I can understand "cabin fever" and tension and all, but it's just till 4 May.
For now.

Unless the intention was to extend the duration of these measures?! Or make sure the government has no choice but treat you like the child you are and instil an even stricter (plus inconvenient and economically damaging) regime?! It's an embarrassment that stricter measures had to be added every few days. Come on! Just stay home and ride it out!

If you are worried, concerned, anxious about Covid-19 and the impact on your life, there is a National CARE counselling hotline:
6202 6868.




Day 1: Naha International Airport --> Cape Hedo --> Daisekirinzan Park (1 hr) --> Okuma Private Beach and Resort

There are several other attractions within the vicinity of Cape Hedo such as the Hiji waterfall or the Yanbaru Wildlife Center. However, I chose to head to Daisekirinzan Park, where legend has it that it was created by the gods and is the oldest part of Okinawa. Little wonder why it is advertised as a sacred place with healing energy flows. 




Daisekirinzan Park is a mere 10 minute drive away from Cape Hedo. When we arrived, we were ushered into a building where I put the first of the Okinawa Enjoy Pass to good use and exchanged them for our tickets. It was really simple, all I had to do was to hand over the Enjoy Pass. I didn't even need to say anything.




Once tickets were exchanged, we were directed to hop onto a bus that brought us to Energy Cabin, which marked the start of the trails. I took a picture of the trail mal that I was given so as to give you a perspective of the routes.

For those of you travelling with the elderly (like me) or with young kids, you do not have to worry that the trails are not manageable. There is a simple, 600 metre wheel-chair friendly one that you can take. It is marked blue on the map below.




My parents and I took the wheel-chair friendly route but I also managed to detour for a short bit onto the yellow marked trail while my parents kept to the easy route and waited for me in a pavilion there. A bit of climbing is needed on the other trails so do wear sturdy shoes if that is your intent.

Daisekirinzan is a karst, which is a limestone plateau. I had to go and look that up. My A Levels Geography has long since deserted me,  I am so sorry Mr Truman.





The limestone formations were actually pretty impressive. I honestly did not think I would be this impressed. In the photo above, that's the Nabe-Ike Pond, which is actually a limestone sinkhole, something that is characteristic of karst topography. And another something that I had forgotten about from my geography lessons.

My parents and I also spent some time trying to figure out their named limestone figures, such as the Goku-Iwa or the Monkey King Rock and the Lion King Rock! I took pictures of the Lion King Rock because I was so amused. I could just hear "The Circle of Life" in my head while trying to picture Simba.





I didn't get to explore the Churaumi Ocean View trail or the Yambaru sub-tropical forest trail. I didn't think the trails were suitable for my parents and I was too tired myself to hike. According to the brochure I picked up, on the Churaumi Ocean View Trail, there is a Churaumi Observation Deck where you can enjoy a sea view and even look across to Kagoshima on a clear day.




The brochure also indicated that the Yambaru forest trails has got banyans and sago palms. You should be able to take the forest trail back to the ticket booth, which is the starting point. If your intent is to hike through all the trails, walking sticks are also provided for your use at the Energy Cabin.




Alternatively, you could do what we did, take the free bus back to the starting point. Simple and haha, out of the sun.

Back at the ticket booth, my parents and I also explored the rock museum there. Admission to the museum is free and you can marvel at the collection of rock displays. Mom loved some and actually commented that they would look awesome as her flooring.




There were even some pieces that I thought kind of looked like food! Like the one below, don't you think it looks like a piece of cake? Except you'd probably break all your teeth sinking into it!





Or the one at top left in the photo above, behind all the other rocks? That looks like a piece of pork belly doesn't it? The display is even aptly titled "Amusing stones"!

My parents and I spent quite some time in the museum and then also bought some stuff at the small souvenir shop there. There is also a restaurant there but my parents and I preferred to try our luck and settle our lunch at the hotel instead. So once we were done shopping, off we went headed for our hotel.


Tourist Information

Daisekirinzan Park

Website: https://www.sekirinzan.com/en/
Address: 1241 Ginama, Kunigami, Okinawa 905-1422
Local address: 〒905-1422 沖縄県国頭郡国頭村宜名真1242-1 大石林山
Phone: 0980-41-8117
Opening hours: 9:30 am to 5:30 pm
Admission fees:


Adult (15 years and above)
1200 yen
Child (4 to 14 years)
550 yen
Group of 15 or more
Adult
1000 yen
Child
450 yen
Disabled and caregiver
Adult
750 yen
Child
420 yen




No comments:

Post a Comment

 
FREE BLOGGER TEMPLATE BY DESIGNER BLOGS